Monday, January 9, 2017

Hamlet Day 1



Two to six word stories (pair and share 2X)

Read around of 1.1.1-80

Review setting and characters

  • read one word at a time
  • read to punctuation mark (commas, periods, questions marks, exclamation marks, dashes - but not apostrophes)
  • From line 51 on; split class - 1/2 will read Marcellus, 1/2 Bernardo, and I will read Horatio

Hamlet Reading Logs - Review

HW: Finish reading 1.1 and Handout 1: The Log; Tomorrow, you will actually work on writing your first reading (log #1) in the first 15 mins of class.

Act I, Scene 1
Elsinore. A platform before the Castle.
     

---
Enter two Sentinels-[first,] Francisco, [who paces up and down at his post; then] Bernardo, [who approaches him].
§  Bernardo. Who's there?
§  Francisco. Nay, answer me. Stand and unfold yourself.
§  Bernardo. Long live the King!
§  Francisco. Bernardo?5
§  Bernardo. He.
§  Francisco. You come most carefully upon your hour.
§  Bernardo. 'Tis now struck twelve. Get thee to bed, Francisco.
§  Francisco. For this relief much thanks. 'Tis bitter cold,
And I am sick at heart.
10
§  Bernardo. Have you had quiet guard?
§  Francisco. Not a mouse stirring.
§  Bernardo. Well, good night.
If you do meet Horatio and Marcellus,
The rivals of my watch, bid them make haste.
15
Enter Horatio and Marcellus.
§  Francisco. I think I hear them. Stand, ho! Who is there?
§  Horatio. Friends to this ground.
§  Marcellus. And liegemen to the Dane.
§  Francisco. Give you good night.20
§  Marcellus. O, farewell, honest soldier.
Who hath reliev'd you?
§  Francisco. Bernardo hath my place.
Give you good night. Exit.
§  Marcellus. Holla, Bernardo!25
§  Bernardo. Say-
What, is Horatio there ?
§  Horatio. A piece of him.
§  Bernardo. Welcome, Horatio. Welcome, good Marcellus.
§  Marcellus. What, has this thing appear'd again to-night?30
§  Bernardo. I have seen nothing.
§  Marcellus. Horatio says 'tis but our fantasy,
And will not let belief take hold of him
Touching this dreaded sight, twice seen of us.
Therefore I have entreated him along, 
35
With us to watch the minutes of this night,
That, if again this apparition come,
He may approve our eyes and speak to it.
§  Horatio. Tush, tush, 'twill not appear.
§  Bernardo. Sit down awhile, 40
And let us once again assail your ears,
That are so fortified against our story,
What we two nights have seen.
§  Horatio. Well, sit we down,
And let us hear Bernardo speak of this.
45
§  Bernardo. Last night of all,
When yond same star that's westward from the pole
Had made his course t' illume that part of heaven
Where now it burns, Marcellus and myself,
The bell then beating one-
50
Enter Ghost.
§  Marcellus. Peace! break thee off! Look where it comes again!
§  Bernardo. In the same figure, like the King that's dead.
§  Marcellus. Thou art a scholar; speak to it, Horatio.
§  Bernardo. Looks it not like the King? Mark it, Horatio.55
§  Horatio. Most like. It harrows me with fear and wonder.
§  Bernardo. It would be spoke to.
§  Marcellus. Question it, Horatio.
§  Horatio. What art thou that usurp'st this time of night
Together with that fair and warlike form 
60
In which the majesty of buried Denmark
Did sometimes march? By heaven I charge thee speak!
§  Marcellus. It is offended.
§  Bernardo. See, it stalks away!
§  Horatio. Stay! Speak, speak! I charge thee speak!65
Exit Ghost.
§  Marcellus. 'Tis gone and will not answer.
§  Bernardo. How now, Horatio? You tremble and look pale.
Is not this something more than fantasy?
What think you on't?
70
§  Horatio. Before my God, I might not this believe
Without the sensible and true avouch
Of mine own eyes.
§  Marcellus. Is it not like the King?
§  Horatio. As thou art to thyself. 75
Such was the very armour he had on 
When he th' ambitious Norway combated. 
So frown'd he once when, in an angry parle, 
He smote the sledded Polacks on the ice. 
'Tis strange.



Famous Quotes from Hamlet
1.    "To be, or not to be: that is the question". Hamlet quote (Act III, Sc. I).


2.    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be; For loan oft loses both itself and friend, and borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry". Hamlet quote Act I, Sc. III).

3.    "This above all: to thine own self be true" Hamlet quote (Act I, Sc. III).


4.    "Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't." Hamlet quote (Act II, Scene II).

5.    "That it should come to this!". Hamlet quote  (Act I, Scene II).


6.    "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" Hamlet quote (Act II, Sc. II).

7.    "What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals! " Hamlet quote (Act II, Sc. II).


8.    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks". Hamlet ( Quote Act III, Sc. II).


9.    "In my mind's eye".  Hamlet quotation  (Quote Act I, Scene II).


10."A little more than kin, and less than kind". (Hamlet Quote Act I, Scene II).
11."The play 's the thing wherein I'll catch the conscience of the king". Hamlet Quote (Act II, Scene II).


12."And it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man". (Hamlet Quote Act I, Scene III)."


13."This is the very ecstasy of love". - ( Hamlet Quote Act II, Sc I).


14."Brevity is the soul of wit". -  Hamlet Quote (Act II, Scene II).


15."Doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love". Hamlet Quote (Act II, Sc. II).


16."Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind". - (Hamlet Quote Act III, Scene I).


17."Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?" Hamlet Quote (Act III, Sc. II).


18."I will speak daggers to her, but use none". - (Hamlet Quote Act III, Sc. II).



19."When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions". - (Hamlet Quote Act IV, Scene V).

HW: Finish 1.1 and due your first log (carve out a section of pages for Hamlet logs - you will need to tear these out and hand them in eventually)

No comments:

Post a Comment